Any amount of alcohol consumption can have risks for your health. In this video, Dr. Sophiya Benjamin talks about Canada's Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines from 2011, what a 'standard drink' is, and how following the guidelines can help to reduce both the short- and long-term risks of alcohol use.
Note, this video was recorded prior to January 2023 Canadian guideline update. The report titled Canada's Guidance on Alcohol and Health reflects the most recent data and methods that have evolved since the guidelines were released in 2011.
Learn the answers to the following questions:
- What were Canada’s Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines (2011)?
- What is a 'standard drink'?
- How does alcohol affect us as we age?
- What are the risks of alcohol consumption for older adults?
- How can medications and alcohol interact?
- What strategies promote low-risk drinking?
- How can people address problematic drinking?
Download Canada's Guidance on Alcohol and Health.
Give us your feedback with this 2-question survey.
Browse all video posts.