In this 2-minute video, Dr. Tricia Woo talks about non-medication strategies to treat insomnia.
What's the bottom line?
There are several things that you can do to improve the quality of your sleep, including:
- Have a sleep schedule that includes going to bed at a set time each evening.
- Create a soothing environment that is quiet, dark and relatively cool.
- Exercise during the day. Exercise, or excessive exercise, late in the evening can be counterproductive.
- Get adequate amounts of sunshine to help regulate your sleep cycle.
- Check your medications to look for side effects. Some may be stimulating, and other medications, such as diuretics, may cause you to wake up to use the bathroom during the night.
- Consider cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia (iCBT) if you have ongoing issues.
Learn more about insomnia, including what health conditions are associated with sleep problems and what medication strategies are effective in improving sleep, by watching the full-length video.
Give us your feedback with this 2-question survey.
Browse all video posts.