What role should medications play in managing high blood pressure?
Hypertension should be considered to be a life-long condition that needs to be controlled and managed. The first step is understanding what healthy blood pressure targets are and monitoring your blood pressure at home. Implementing lifestyle changes is an important next step to reduce your blood pressure or to lower your risk of developing hypertension in the future.
In this video, Drs. Anthony Levinson and Richard Sztramko discuss when and what to consider when lifestyle changes alone are not enough to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
Learn the answers to the following questions:
- 0:30 - When should someone with high blood pressure take medication?
- 1:55 - What are common medications for high blood pressure? How do they work?
- 2:38 - What classes of medication are used for high blood pressure?
- 5:58 - Would medication be required for the rest of your life?
- 9:05 - How low should your blood pressure be with treatment?