What is an Evidence Summary?
Key messages from scientific research that's ready to be acted on
Got It, Hide this
Vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, help with weight loss.
Huang RY, Huang CC, Hu FB, et al. Vegetarian diets and weight reduction: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials J Gen Intern Med. 2015;31:109-16.
Does a vegetarian diet help adults to reduce body weight? Is there a difference between lacto-ovo-vegetarian and vegan diets.
Obesity is a growing public health concern, and increases the risk of a number of diseases. A vegetarian diet can reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease and death, and may help to reduce body weight. There are several types of vegetarian diets, and it is not known which one might be the most effective for weight loss.
How the review was done
- This review includes 12 randomized controlled trials of 1151 participants, ranging from age 18 to 82 years. Five studies were high quality, and 7 studies were low quality.
- Six studies only included participants who had overweight or obesity at the beginning of the study, five studies only included those with Type 2 diabetes, and one study only included those with arthritis.
- Eight studies compared a vegan diet to a control diet. A vegan diet is one in which no animal products are eaten.
- Four studies compared a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet to a control diet. A lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet is one in which no meat is eaten, but milk and eggs are included.
- The control diets included low-fat, anti-diabetes, and weight reduction diets.
- In all studies, researchers compared the amount of weight loss in participants following the vegetarian diet to those following the control diet.
What the researchers found
Those who ate a vegetarian diet lost an average of 2.0 kg more than those who followed a control diet. The vegan diet was more effective than the lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet. Combining a vegetarian diet with a decrease in calories was more effective than a vegetarian diet alone. Studies that were less than one year were more effective than those that were more than one year.
Vegetarian diets are effective for weight loss, and a vegan diet is more effective than a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets. Combining a vegetarian diet with a decrease in calories is the most effective for weight loss. Longer studies are needed to understand the long-term effects of these diets.
Randomized controlled trials
Studies where people are assigned to one of the treatments purely by chance.
Related Evidence Summaries
Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology (2018)
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2014)
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2012)
Related Web Resources
This patient decision aid helps People with prediabetes considering treatment to help prevent type 2 diabetes decide on whether to make a major lifestyle change or take the medicine metformin by comparing the benefits, risks, and side effects of both options.
Harvard School of Public Health
There are three main types of fat: unsaturated, saturated and trans fat. Unsaturated fats can help improve cholesterol levels and lower inflammation and are found in olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds and fish. Trans fats are common in fast foods, and can increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other chronic conditions.
Informed Health Online
Talk to your doctor about diabetes medications. Consider your treatment goals, age, weight, health conditions and other medications when deciding if a drug is right for you.
DISCLAIMER These summaries are provided for informational purposes only. They are not a substitute for advice from your own health care professional. The summaries may be reproduced for not-for-profit educational purposes only. Any other uses must be approved by the McMaster Optimal Aging Portal